Pilansberg Nature Reserve is located in the North West Provinse, about 2 hour’s drive from Johannesburg and Pretoria, which make it probably the most accessible of all South Africa’s fantastic reserves. Pilansberg is a malaria free area.
With the Pilansberg Nature Reserve being Big 5 country, you will have the opportunity to see a wide range of animals, beautiful scenery, and with a little bit of luck spot the Big 5. You also have a good chance to ad Cheetah and Wild dogs to your list of sightings.
In 1979, Operation Genesis was launched in the Reserve. The objective was to reinforce the homegrown game population in the area. As part of the initiative, 110km of game fences was put up, and 188km of roads were established. Another plan of action put into place, involved 6 000 animals being introduced to the area. Today there are over 7 000 animals, 360 bird species and more than 200km of roads in the reserve.
What will Specialist Tours offer you
• Specialist Tours will take all planning, bookings, transport, and any other administration and hustle out of your hands. You only need to arrive and start your African Safari experience.
• Specialist Tours will pick you up from your airport or your hotel anywhere in Johannesburg or Pretoria and drive you to the Pilansberg and back.
• A specialist tour guide will be your driver for the duration of the trip, with not only a great knowledge of the wildlife and the Pilansberg Nature Reserve, but also on anything else you want to know about our wonderful country.
• The lodges all cater for bed, breakfast, dinner and 1 game drive per day in a safari vehicle.
• Specialist Tours will drive you around in the park, additional to the official game drive as much as you like. For these drives, there will be some snacks and cold drinks, which will include the proudly South African delicatessen, called “biltong” and “dry wors”.
• Specialist Tours want to maintain its core values, including giving you an unforgettable experience. Although we will recommend and guide you, we will always be flexible and do our best to accommodate any requests that might come up during the trip.
• The focus of this trip is to spend maximum time in the Pilansberg Nature reserve, Specialist tours will however gladly take you to the nearby world – famous Sun City resort, for a visit.
Timeline for this tour
This is the perfect tour for a business traveller, who have spent the week working in Johannesburg or Pretoria; and want to have a short trip to the most accessible big 5 game park before returning home. The recommended timeline will be:
• Specialist Tours will pick you up, as early as possible on Friday from the offices/ hotel you stayed at in Johannesburg or Pretoria, and we leave for the 2 hour drive to one of the Lodges in Pilansberg. Depending on the time of arrival, Specialist tours will drive you around in the reserve utilising the great South African afternoon sunshine to our benefit to spot as many animals as possible.
• Accommodation include dinner, bed and breakfast. You can therefore relax in the African bush with some of South Africa’s best red wines and enjoy dinner at your time. We recommend an early evening to be ready for Saturday action.
• The accommodation also include breakfast and an official game drive with one of the Reserves open Safari vehicles. This game drive can either be in the morning at around 9 or in the afternoon at about 13h00, and last about 3 hours. For that part of the day that you are not on the official game drive, Specialist Tours will drive you through the park as much as you want. You will enjoy your dinner again at the lodge.
• Sunday morning you can have breakfast and check out, after which Specialist tours will again drive you through the reserve as much as needed. If you would like to have a short visit to the nearby Sun City resort, we recommend that just before we return to Johannesburg/ Pretoria. Exact timing depends on your needs and time to be back in Johannesburg/ Pretoria.
All inclusive rates for this 3 days, 2 nights safari is available from R 8 995 pp sharing and R 10 995 for people who need single room accommodation.
Prices at resorts do vary between seasons, a final quotation will be provided by Specialist Tours depending on your specific needs.
Tour code. G1D3